Welcome to Weisong Shi, our new Department Chair for Computer & Information Sciences.
Welcome to the Department of Computer and Information Sciences at the University of Delaware! Whether you are a prospective student, a current student, a parent, an alumnus, a researcher at another institution, an employer, or are just surfing the web, you will find something interesting and exciting in our undergraduate, graduate and research programs.
As has been the case for nearly two decades, the demand from industry for graduates trained in the computer sciences is very strong. In light of that demand, our department offers three undergraduate and three graduate degree programs:
- BS in computer science; BA in computer science; BS in information systems
- MS in computer science; MS in bioinformatics and computational biology; PhD in computer science
Our various curriculums provide a breadth of knowledge in both practice and theory, while allowing students to take multiple courses in areas of particular interest to them. Many of our classes at both the undergraduate and graduate levels feature problem-based learning in which students work interactively in groups on the core course material and/or projects. Our faculty take a sincere interest in our students and are willing to go the extra step in helping a student with problems that may arise. And, the quality of the teaching in our department is second to none, featuring eight faculty recipients of the University Excellence in Teaching Award (only given to four faculty each year among the nearly 1000 faculty at UD). Details of our student enrollment can be found at UD’s College of Engineering website.
Our research programs, which involve both graduate and undergraduate students, are strong and growing with many exciting projects in diverse areas such as bioinformatics, software engineering, graphics and vision, networking, high performance computing, and natural language processing. Our faculty and students publish a large number of conference and journal papers each year and have received a number of “best paper” nominations and awards. Support for this research is provided through a multitude of research grants to our faculty from outside agencies such as the National Science Foundation, the US Army, the US Air Force, and the National Institutes of Health.
Why a Career in CIS?
From its inception just a half century ago, computing has become the defining technology of our age. Computers are integral to modern culture and are the primary engine behind much of the world’s economic growth. Moreover, the field continues to evolve at an astonishing pace, making computer science increasingly important with each passing day.
With a background in computer and information science, you can help the world. For example you can help to:
- Improve human health
- Advance computer technology
- Coordinate disaster responses
- Impact national security
- Advance weather forecasting
- Improve communications
Our Department Mission
The mission is to provide a culturally diverse and intellectually stimulating environment for
- Educating future leaders in academia, industry, government, and entrepreneurial pursuits through rigorous programs covering the theory and application of computer science. Developing in our students the ability to solve problems and to contribute through teamwork.
- Creating new knowledge and innovative technologies through research in the core areas of computer science and in collaborations with other disciplines.
- Exploiting the opportunities and solving the problems created by computing and networking technology.
- Serving the communities to which we belong, locally, nationally, and internationally, with a deep commitment to ethics in the practice of our profession.
We have committed ourselves to be highly productive and provide superior operating results to all Faculty and Students we serve as customers. We commit ourselves to working together as a team by being clear about tasks, structure, and accountability.
We value mutual respect and diversity, promote a welcoming atmosphere, instill ethical behavior and engage in activities that improve the performance of everyone we serve.
- We will sensitively and effectively assist students who have different life experiences, class and cultural backgrounds, identities, orientations, abilities and values and make appropriate referrals to specialized campus resources to ensure optimal integration into university culture.
- We will work together as a team and with campus-wide academic and administrative units with the aim of facilitating student success and reasonable individual accommodation within campus standards.
- A top priority is to meet the increasing demands of a rapidly changing environment and provide services in a proactive, responsive, cost effective and service-oriented manner that parallels with and supports the University’s strategic plan.
- We will continually strive to improve customer satisfaction, all while establishing a high level of accountability by delivering quality services that satisfy customer requirements.
We will foster a learning environment where employees are encouraged to develop their skills to meet the demand of the future, while still promoting teamwork, learning, high performance and mutual respect for differences.