101 Smith Hall
Newark, Delaware 19716
PostDoc | 2019-2020 | Stanford University | School of Medicine
PostDoc | 2018-2019 | Oregon State University & Stanford University | School of Public Policy & Environmental Engineering Department
Ph.D. | 2018 | University of Maryland | Computer Science
MBA | 2010 | University at Albany, SUNY | Business Administration
MS | 2008 | University at Albany, SUNY | Computer Science and Applied Mathematics
BS | 2007 | University at Albany, SUNY | Computer Science and Applied Mathematics
Dr. Matthew Louis Mauriello received his Ph.D. from the University of Maryland’s Department of Computer Science under the supervision of Dr. Jon E. Froehlich. He was also a Future Faculty Fellow in the A. James Clark School of Engineering. In January 2021, he joins the Department of Computer and Information Sciences at the University of Delaware. In 2018-2020, Dr. Mauriello held postdoctoral scholar positions based at Stanford University where he contributed to projects funded by NSF, Adobe Research, and other intramural organizations.
Dr. Mauriello’s work in the areas of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and Ubiquitous Computing (UbiComp) focuses on applying user-centered design and computer science techniques (e.g., machine learning, image processing, information visualization, social computing) to societal challenges emphasizing those facing our health, education, environmental, and computing systems.
- Balters, S., Mauriello, M.L., Park, S.J., Landay, J.A., Paredes, P.E., (2020). “Calm Commute: Guided Slow Breathing for Daily Stress Management in Drivers.” In Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies, 4, 1, 38 (2020): 19.
- Mauriello, M.L., McNally, B., and Froehlich, J.E. (2019). “Thermporal: An Easy-to-Deploy Temporal Thermographic Sensor System to Support Residential Energy Audits.” In Proceedings of ACM CHI 2019 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Mauriello, M.L., McNally, B., Buntain, C., Bagalkotkar, S., Kushnir, S., and Froehlich, J.E. (2018). “A large-scale analysis of YouTube videos depicting everyday thermal camera use.” In Proceedings of ACM MobileHCI 2018 Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices & Services in Computing Systems.
- Golbeck, J., Mauriello, M.L., Auxier, B., Bhanushali, K.H., Bonk, C., Bouzaghrane, M.A., Buntain, C., et al., (2018). “Fake news vs satire: a data set and analysis.” In Proceedings of the 10th ACM Conference on Web Science.
- McNally, B., Kumar, P., Hordatt, C., Mauriello, M.L., Naik, S., Norooz, L., Shorter, A., Golub, E., and Druin, A., (2018). “Co-designing mobile online safety applications with children.” In Proceedings of ACM CHI 2018 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Golbeck, J., and Mauriello, M.L., (2016). “User perception of Facebook app data access: A comparison of methods and privacy concerns.” Future Internet, v8.2 (2016): 9.
- Mauriello, M.L., Norooz, L., and Froehlich, J.E., (2015). “Understanding the role of thermography in energy auditing: current practices and the potential for automated solutions.” In Proceedings of ACM CHI 2015 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Norooz, L., Mauriello, M.L., Jorgensen, A., McNally, B., and Froehlich, J.E., (2015). “BodyVis: A new approach to body learning through wearable sensing and visualization.” In Proceedings of ACM CHI 2015 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Mauriello, M.L., Gubbels, M., Froehlich, J. E., (2014). “Social Fabric Fitness: The design and evaluation of wearable e-textile displays to support group running.” In Proceedings of ACM CHI 2014 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Lee, T. Y., Mauriello, M. L., Ahn, J., and Bederson, B.B., (2014). “CTArcade: Computational thinking with games in school age children.” International Journal of Child-Computer Interaction, v2.1 (2014): 26-33.
View Full CV